Redundant? Looking for a Job?
Careers Springboard West Berkshire holds regular weekly meetings on Wednesday afternoons. We are a self-help group whose main role is to help out-of-work professionals, managers and executives in West Berkshire who are seeking a new job. All of this is interpreted widely so that there have been members who regard themselves as living outside the area, or of a lower-level, or in employment (but wanting to change) or wanting to start their own business, or even enjoy an active and worthwhile retirement.
Our volunteers are standing by, ready to help you.
Benefits for Job Seekers
- Meetings - These are main activity of the club, which meets weekly (Wednesday afternoons) in Broadway House, Newbury. The programme give full details of dates, topics and venue. The main purpose of the meetings is to provide a forum where you can meet with others in the same situation, get practical and motivational help, and enjoy the opportunity of spending a few hours away from the (often lonely) role of job-seeker.
- 1-on-1 Sessions - these are individually tailored session with one of our volunteer advisors. Typical uses of these sessions are:
- Induction - a short session after joining to tell you what help we can offer in your job search
- Job search planning - typically a few weeks after joining us; reviewing your overall strategy and plan
- CV review - reviewing your CV; in particular taking into account to whom it will be targetted
- Job search review - quite often during the job search, job seekers find themselves hitting a brick wall or stagnating. We can help you to overcome roadblocks and revitalise your job search activities.
- Hand-outs - Hand-outs of each meeting's slides and notes
- Detailed Guides - Particularly useful are our Getting Started, Networking and Direct Approach guides.
- Work Sheets - Guidance notes, checklists, Dos and Don'ts, and planning templates on a range of topics.
- Weekly Emails - Emails about meetings, giving hand-outs, and details of other events (e.g. job fairs) and recruitment / employer news.
- Career Planning - Specialist advice for those who are considering a change in their career direction.
Please note, access to some of these benefits are available only following the recommendation of a volunteer following a relevant 1-to-1 session. Full details of how to access these benefits will be found in the job seeker's membership pack and in the relevant fact sheets.Other than informal 1-on-1s after Wednesday meetings, all other 1-on-1s must be pre-booked.
What Job Seekers Say About Us
Here are some comments that successful job seekers tell us when they leave us (because they have landed a new job!):
- "You realise that you were not unemployed because you were incapable; just in the wrong place at the wrong time"
- "The atmosphere and support was just what I needed to refocus my job search activities"
- "It enabled me to meet other people in a similar position and the opportunity to discuss various topics"
- "I found the sessions and the support from the volunteers very helpful and enabled me to regain my confidence and update my CV"
- "I liked the 'menu' of services allowing the individual to tailor to their own needs, without pressure to attend every week. The group discussion and networking opportunities are especially useful"
- "I gained effective advice on CVs, application and interview techniques and the chance to meet others in the same boat, and to share experiences".
How To Join
To participate in our activities, all you have to do is to come along to a meeting and complete and sign an Application Form. Ideally contact us beforehand. Or come to your first meeting 5-10 minutes early to meet the host and be introduced to the club. To save time you can download the application form and accompanying charter (PDF files).
There is no charge for attending meetings or accessing our services.
Still Have Some Questions?
Read our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact one of our advisors by email: email@example.com or by contacting David Skyrme on 01635 254151.
This page last updated 13th September 2017
Important Notice - The information and advice given on this website or by our volunteers is given in good faith. No responsibility whatsoever shall attach to Careers Springboard West Berkshire or any person acting on its behalf for any actions taken by any person acting on this information or advice.